Home arrow Fitness arrow Nutrition Tips

1st Step Pro-Wellness

www.strengthpro.com

Who's Online

Nutrition Tips PDF Print E-mail
Written by April Van Hoose   
Wednesday, 21 May 2008

 

 

Rules of Healthy Eating

 

*Lifestyle Change:       Make a lifestyle change not just a diet that you will gain your weight back.

 

*Eat Clean:                     Proteins such as egg whites, chicken, lean-meats, turkey, fish, and protein powders.

                                       Starchy carbs such as oatmeal, sweet potatoes, brown rice, beans and whole wheat.

                                        Fruits and Veggies.

 

*Eat Natural:                   Avoid processed and refined foods. (sugar, white flour, boxed foods)

 

*Keep Portions Small:     Eat 5-6 meals a day to speed up metabolism.

                                            Proteins should be about the size of your palm or 4-6 oz.

                                            Starchy carbs should be about the size of your hand cupped or ½ cup

                                            Veggies can be unlimited amount.

                                             Fruits 1-2 servings a day.

 

*Never Skip Meals:            Your body needs fuel so when you don’t eat enough or skip meals your

                                               body goes into starvation mode and slows your metabolism.

 

*Good Fats:                         Keep fat intake low but include “healthy” fats such as olive oil or natural peanut butter

                                               Avoid saturated and trans fats.   

 

*Drink Water:                      Avoid drinks with sugar this includes the natural fruit juices.

 

*Prepare Meals:                  Make sure you plan and prepare meals ahead of time so you stay on track.

Remember diet is 80% of what it takes to get the body you want.  The other 20% is training and genetics.  In order to lose weight you need to create a calorie deficit. To do this you need to lower your calories your body needs to maintain your weight by 15-30%.  If you add in cardio you will create a bigger deficit and will lose even faster.  Keep in mind to add muscle and to keep your metabolism going fast you can't drop calories too much.  It is definately a balancing act.  If you want to lose weight and become healthier then you can’t take shortcuts you have to make it a lifestyle change.  Since changing my diet I feel better, look better, and am healthier than I was before.  This is a way of life for me and I could never imagine going back to eating the way I used to.    

Last Updated ( Sunday, 22 June 2008 )